Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Be Ridgefield Library’s “Friend” on Facebook


About four years ago, members of the Library’s Teen Advisory Group (TAG) announced to me that there was no way I would ever keep in touch with them via email.  Unless I texted them or used Facebook, they would remain unreachable. To this end, three of the teens sat down and created a Facebook profile for me and immediately “friended” me.  Soon all the teens in TAG, and others as well, were my Facebook friends.  Since then, this first profile changed into the Ridgefield Library Teen Services Facebook Page.  Currently there are 81 people who “like” this page, and who use it to get the latest news of note for teens.  I post about upcoming teen programs, what new materials are available for checkout, remind people of adult programs that have teen appeal, and muse on popular culture items of interest (like the latest casting news for “The Hunger Games” movie, a film based on the hugely popular teen book series by Suzanne Collins). 

There is also now a Facebook page for the New Ridgefield Library. If you are on Facebook, won’t you please “like” one or both of these pages?  Then we can be friends!

Contributed by Geri Diorio, Teen Services Librarian and Head of Children's Services

No comments: